Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Our Friends Make Us Whole

Friends: What would we do without them? Second only to family, they are our most loyal support. Once a friend is ours, we seldom want to give that person up.

Often I think of friends, both present and past, and remember just how we became friends, or how we connected. Often times we bond with others in very unusual ways.

Sometimes we lose that connection for short periods of time, or possibly for years, only to reconnect in time.

For several years after Ray’s death, I regularly checked the Web site of the 94th Bomb Group. Relatives of air force veterans wrote notes regarding the service of their loved ones. I found their stories very interesting and informative.

Ray was a member of the 410th squadron of that group and I was constantly searching for someone in that squadron who might live nearby, or have relatives nearby. To my surprise one day while I was browsing through the various articles on this Web site, I saw an item from a lady living in Oklahoma City. She had listed her email address, so I sent her an email. She was kind enough to respond and I learned that her husband’s name was also Ray. He had been in the same bomb group and the same squadron.

At the time we connected, her husband was still living. However, he has since passed away, but Georgene and I have continued to stay in touch via email and phone.

We have much in common and although our friendship has not been of long-standing, I consider her a very special person in my life.

I truly believe that God guides us in making these friendships coming together.

I often think of my friend whom I met in church in Antlers, Oklahoma over fifty years ago. I walked into the nursery at church and there sat Nell with her new baby. We began a conversation, and first thing I knew we were lifelong friends. She has been my support and encourager in thick and thin, through good times and rough times. We still stay in touch and I find it a real treat when we catch up with the happenings in our lives.

At my age, many of my former friends have passed away or reside in nursing homes. I still cherish the memories of our times together.

Once in a while, I get word from one of my classmates from high school in Dallas. I love hearing their news, and remembering our times during that period.

When Ray and I were first married, I did not make friends easily, but as time passed I learned from his casual and easy way of making friends. Remembering names is not as easy now as it once was, but I still try.

Not only do I have this bank of my own friends, but my children’s friends are special to me. I continue to have friendly relationships with the children of some of my adult friends, a few who are still living and the children of others who have passed away.

Friends, both old and new, are very special and they are a true blessing in my life. I hope you also have friends such as these.

1-28-2009
#420

No comments: