Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Weather as Diverse as Robes

The other morning when I awakened, I went to my closet to get my robe to slip on before I went into the kitchen for coffee. Because my closet is always cluttered, big time, I choose a robe that is appropriate for the temperatures and keep it in my bedroom closet. The others I store in another closet.

Well, that morning I had three robes of different weights hanging in my closet. There was my winter velour robe, good and warm for cold mornings. Then I saw the mid-season robe of much lighter fabric and three-quarter length sleeves. The other was a muumuu type, ankle length with very short sleeves.

Why did I have all three of these robes in my closet? For one thing the temperature the week before had been like winter and the heavy, velour robe felt good. In the meantime, we’d had warmer weather and so I had opted for the lighter robe and had worn it for several days.

When I saw the muumuu, I remembered the day when the afternoon temperature got up around 90 degrees and I had turned the air-conditioner on. What a contrast in temperatures over one week.

And now this weekend daylight savings time has returned. How are we supposed to cope with these drastic changes in weather and time?

As I thought of all these variations that were difficult for us mortals to adjust to, I thought about the animals and birds and how they handle all this. I had recently seen an article on television regarding the monarch butterflies. I wonder if they are confused about the time to begin their migration journey. Do they begin their northward trip, only to encounter an unseasonably cold spell and decide they need to return to their winter habitat?

My neighbor assured me last week that the hummingbirds would have scouts here in about two weeks. Are they going to also be confused and decide not to come at their regular time this year? To me, it is a miracle that they have this innate ability to know when and where to go at just the right time.

Another response to weather variations are the trees, especially fruit trees. So many years the fruit trees blossom and then we get a hard freeze and the fruit potential is wiped out for that year. How anyone can deny God’s existence in the face of all these miracles is beyond my comprehension.

For several years now, we’ve had variations in the weather patterns causing us to be uncertain about what to expect.

Weather is one topic of conversation that is often discussed, but little is done about it. I’m sure if we could order the kind of weather we want, some persons would object to our choices because they would have laundry to dry outside when we wanted a nice soaking rain. Just the thought of a good slow rain for several days, followed by some runoff water makes me want to get outside and stand under that God-given moisture.

I’m certain we will get that rain sometime.

3-11-2009
#425

No comments: