Thursday, May 28, 2009

Veterans Deserve Honors

Starr and I joined with other persons on Monday morning for the Memorial Day honoring of our veterans. The weather was perfect and the informal ceremony was quite impressive and touching. The mournful tones of Taps concluded the event.

From the time we first moved here in 1957, if I remember correctly, the American Legion or the Disabled American Veterans had a ceremony each year on Memorial Day. I’m not certain if the earlier ones were held at the flagpole in the cemetery, or if they were held elsewhere.

To me it is sad that so few of our older veterans are still living. I believe that both the two former military veterans’ organizations are no longer active here in Waurika.

My brother, a 29 year Marine Corps veteran reminded me of the celebrations of Decoration Day in the small town where our grandparents lived. It was usually on a Sunday and friends and family members gathered at the local cemetery. Long tables had been set up and they overflowed with good food. Much of this bounty came from home gardens and was very nutritious.

After we had eaten, there were usually some speeches, and some of the late arriving attendees took time to place flowers at the graves of their loved ones.

In our early years, I’m sure we just took this as a day to meet with other family members and enjoy a good meal. We did not realize the significance of this day.

In various locations of the United States Memorial Day had been observed since the end of the Civil War. However, in many places, this was Decoration Day. In 1967, this day was officially proclaimed as Memorial Day.

We must never forget that the blood of American military veterans is spread over many countries in Europe, as well as Korea and Vietnam, and other places too numerous to mention.

Our military personnel are now engaged in two wars. This requires them to leave their homes, families and friends to serve our country. How could we ever pay them back for these sacrifices? They deserve the best medical treatments, especially rehabilitation, this country can provide.

Although I do not think of my family as being “military’” my dad served in World War I, my husband and his two brothers served in WW II, as well as my brother who was in Korea and Vietnam, plus several other family members.

I am so proud of each of these family members who were willing to give their all for our freedom and welfare.

May God bless our veterans and those who protect us now.

5-27-09
#436

No comments: