For a while now, I’ve been traveling a journey to the past. Many of the memories of earlier happenings and events are still so fresh in my mind. Some of these memories are clearer than recalling what I had for breakfast this morning.
Speaking of breakfast, one rule at our house when we were growing up was that we ate together as a family in the mornings and again at night.
Our morning meal usually consisted of fruit juice, cereal, bacon, ham or sausage, eggs and biscuits or toast. Usually on Sunday mornings, Mother cooked pork chops with brown cream gravy. What a feast!
It never occurred to us to leave for school with a piece of toast or a doughnut. Later when I became a teen, I often spent the night with one of my girl friends. Sometimes we had a soda for breakfast and as sure as shooting, I would become nauseated.
After Ray and I were married and the children came along, we continued to make a serious effort to eat together as a family, most especially at night.
While sitting at the table, we discussed the events of the day and often times mentioned problems we had.
Once when one of the boys had a friend over to eat with us, this young guest said something about, “My ole lady.” Ray laid his fork down on his plate and looked this boy in the eye and said, “Son, are you talking about your mother?”
“Yeah,” he said.
Ray replied, “In our house you do not call her ’Your ole lady.’ She is your mother.”
I sometimes think that rudeness has overtaken our nation. This does not just concern the young children and teens, but look at some of the adults some of whom are so rude in speech and manners.
My siblings and I were taught to say, “Please, thank you, yes sir, no sir” and other polite expressions.
Some parents are so busy making a living, they fail to see the importance of making a life. Many of us do not make enough time for our children.
In our fast-paced world, it is not always possible to have our meals together as a family. Many times a father works more than one job or is on shift work and does not have the opportunity to eat with his family. I think this is a real detriment to having close family relations, but on the other hand, the children can recognize the quality time they do have with their parents is special.
I think the love of reading was instilled in my children early in life and though they are all adults now, they still enjoy reading.
Ray began taking David fishing when he was probably about six years old. When there are several children in a family, it’s helpful if parents can spend some time alone with each child. This forms a close bond between parents and their children.
I’m sure that many parents feel the same as I do: if we could just go back and do ‘parenthood’ over again, we would surely do a better job, but that is not possible. We need to be grateful for the things we did do right.
10-8-2009
#455
Thursday, October 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment